Hong Kong authorities are going to cease the use of mid-air mechanical devices as it looks to tighten up supervision of stage design, after the shocking incident that took place at the Mirror concert last Thursday. According to the public statement of Leisure and Cultural Services Department (LCSD) released on 1 August 2022, the department has set up a task force and conducted an on-site investigation to look for the causes of the incident.
Before the completion of the investigation report, the LCSD will review the safety of all performances under its performing venues and will implement short-term measures starting from 2 August until further notice. This is to ensure performers and staff members are able to perform in a safe condition. The interim measures require hirers to revisit and enhance the safety of stage designs and brought-in mechanical devices and to ensure the safety of all working staff, performers and people attending the venue. Hirers must also conduct daily inspection of the mechanical devices mentioned above by a competent person whom LCSD agrees to assure safe working.
Social monitoring company CARMA revealed that sentiments of mentions related to the incident remain negative (25.6%). "Netizens’ discussion seems to have shifted its focus to the inspection process at performance venues. A large volume of engagements were also generated by celebrities who advised netizens to stop posting and re-sharing footage of the stage incident," said Charles Cheung, general manager of CARMA.
After the first meeting of the task force, the secretary for culture, sports and tourism Kevin Yeung met with representatives of the LCSD, LD, the Police Force and the EMSD to learn about the investigation progress and to co-ordinate the division of labour and co-operation among the relevant departments. Yeung said he expects the facts of what happened will be understood in a few weeks.
The Mirror concert was held on 28 July 2022, and a giant screen was seen crashing into the performers. The show's organisers MakerVille and Music Nation Group apologised for the incident. CEO of MakerVille Lo Ting Fai apologised in a live press conference at the hospital and streamed on Facebook this morning, saying he would provide full assistance to the injured individuals and their families. Meanwhile, production house 菱藝廣告 (Art Design), which also did work for the event put up a Facebook statement stating that it was not involved in the accident and was merely in charge of setting up the corners of the band pool, props production and stage decoration with mirror surface . 菱藝廣告 (Art Design) added that the misleading and false accusations online have affected the company's reputation.
Earlier this week, Francis Lam Ho Yuen, the producer of the concert denied public accusations that he was evading responsibility of the incident, saying he was working with government departments as part of the investigation. Lam said he reserved the right to take legal action against false allegations and information circulating online. “This performance was a heavy blow to my team and me. It is heartbreaking,” Lam said on his Instagram on 1 August. “I apologise to the victims and their families, to all audiences who witnessed this incident, to the artists and dancers troubled by this and to all the partners I’ve worked with,” he added.